View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 5:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Is this a message board or a booster club? Do you want to talk about what is really going on, what the real potentials are, or just make stuff up with no basis? It is not negative to actually understand the real economic impact. $8 billion is still a big deal, but you need to base your tax revenue increase on the real spend here - this is why Steele was saying that it is going to generate at its best $80-100 million in taxes a year. It is a GREAT project, but if you want to plan for the future you need to know what is going on now, and not exaggerate it.
Partly I think you are arguing against a straw man. Which claims here are over the top? In fact most people seem to be talking about how Halifax needs better planning.

When you put all this in the context of The Coast running articles about how NS should roll over and die or the Herald complaining about anything that would look out of place in 1962 I don't even think the boosterism is so bad. We are talking about a city that is so browbeaten and scattered that it is less able to get a stadium build than a nearby city that is 1/3 the size. Similarly after about 15 years of debate and constantly worsening traffic Halifax has barely invested in any sort of rapid transit. And when council debates rapid transit they look at options that date to about 1982. Sadly I don't think that overly optimistic and ambitious plans are the problem.