View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2017, 9:32 PM

I don't like the idea of the column by itself, even though it's a piece of art on its own. I think something needs to go up there, but maybe that's because we are used to that. I agree with Tennis, that it doesn't need to be a figure. Besides, who would it be? We already have statues of the most famous/influential New Orleanians (Bienville, Armstrong, Jackson etc.).

Would an eternal flame on top the column be cheesy? I kind of like the idea. It could be representative of Liberty's torch and can be said to represent equality for all, the eternal nature of New Orleans, that we can't be put out, be it hurricane, war, yada yada.

I agree with ardeclia about the importance of Beauregard, but I am thinking that a new statue of him in civilian wear and that focuses on his post-war contributions (invention of system for system of cable-powered streetcars, efforts for voting rights and school integration, etc.) would be too dangerous/opening of old wounds.

As long as these spaces aren't filled with Veterans Blvd. (or Poydras St.) type artwork I'll be ok with it! ha