View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
The story that I heard was that a rest stop at the Collingwood exit was opened with public money a few years ago, but has recently gone out of business. The province is now looking for investors to re-open it. I was only half paying attention when it was on TV, so I could be wrong.

I recall being stuck in traffic for a couple of hours on the highway between Miramichi and Bathurst a couple of years ago due to an accident. Thankfully there was a truck stop right there...probably the busiest day in that place's history. Ideally there should be one at least every 20-30 km along major highways, but I'm concerned there isn't the market for them around here.
There was a truck stop (Shell i believe) with a big restaurant at Exit 7 near my aunt's house. They had some good food. I believe the story was that the restaurant encountered financial problems and had to shut down which caused the entire station to go under. If they were still open they could of fed many people stuck on the highway and well the nearby town of Oxford has some good food as well. It was nice place for the short while it was open. Everytime my family would go up we'd get some of the extended family together and have a big breakfast together before heading back to Halifax.

I don't know how it went under though, it seemed busy everytime i was there. And there were always trucks around...