View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:12 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
So for 100 Steele I can't imagine a regular crane fitting in there with 2 to the South and 1 to the West. Won't it have to be one of the cranes with a angle? How long since Denver has seen one of those?
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. We haven't had a good old luffing jib crane up since DaVita.

EDIT: HOWEVER:

Quote:
There are some disadvantages of the ‘luffers’ when you compare them to a tower crane:

1-. The price of the luffing-jib crane is much higher than a regular tower crane. The tower frames of a ‘luffer’ are stronger, and the luffing mechanisms are much bigger than the hoist system of a tower crane. Of course the technology applied to move the jib, counterweights, etc is the highest.

2-. The cost of assembling and dissassembling are much higher too. Most of the structures are heavier, and it takes longer to erect a luufing-jib crane. Once again, to erect a luffer is more difficult due to the technology applied, etc.

3-. The jib of a ‘luffer’ acts as wall to the wind, and the ‘moment’ is much bigger. So the restrictions of the tower are higher.

4-. Due to the luffers don´t have trolley motor (the movemnet is made by the total jib), the working process are slower than in a tower crane.
http://metas.co/Dosyalar/LINDEN_COMA..._vs_torres.pdf

Man, all this crane research is giving me a... craner?

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Last edited by RyanD; Aug 22, 2014 at 2:40 PM.