View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 9:27 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
But why? Why should the onus be on cyclists? It's not a dangerous environment because of the actions of cyclists, it's a dangerous environment because of the actions of drivers. Why should cyclist have to accommodate?

If someone is biking on the sidewalk, slowing down as they pass pedestrians and giving them room, who really cares?
The onus is on the cyclist because they are considered the same as motor vehicles. And I disagree that it is only a "dangerous environment because of drivers".

How many cyclists do you see that actually observe and follow general traffic rules? There are some for sure, but now how often do you see bikes weaving in and out of streets using the sidewalk when convenient, slipping up between lanes of traffic or between cars and the curb at stop lights? People driving cars can definitely be dangerous to cyclists, but a lot of the time, cyclists aren't exactly angels either, so let's not pretend otherwise.

As for "who really cares?" I do. Just as a bike is at a severe disadvantage to a car, a pedestrian is at a severe disadvantage to a bike.

"Slowing down as they pass pedestrians and giving them room". That's funny, it's certainly not been my experience.