View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 7:01 PM

A Big Fat Curve Ball

The Chess game continues...

Sooo, a couple of days ago the Colorado Senate passed a hard-earned transportation compromise (extracted from the Republicans) by a vote of 35-0. So what did the House do when SB1 arrived? They found a stick of dynamite and blew it to smithereens.

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...-new-road.html
Quote:
House Speaker Crisanta Duran, D-Denver, resisted calls from some in her caucus to move some or all of the transportation-funding money to education, but she insisted it be divided between the state, local governments and a fund for transit to bike lane projects. An amendment added by Duran and Rep. Faith Winter, D-Westminster, divides the allotted $495 million 35 percent to the state, 25 percent to cities, 25 percent to counties and 15 percent to the multi-modal project fund.
A rather cunning move which I didn't see coming.

With an extra $1.3 billion in next year's budget Gov Hickenlooper had recommended a one-time infusion of $500 million for CDOT. Certainly the Senate unanimously thought this was a good idea. But the Dem controlled House had a different idea. They suggest CDOT should receive only 35% of that $500 million... LOL.

Stroke of genius? What I see is a clear message to the Republicans that if you want CDOT to receive the money they need then you need to join with Dems and support a voter initiative for increased taxes and revenue for CDOT. Works for me.

Go Rockies!!!!!!