View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Well, if a cricket league couldn't survive in the States, I'll be amazed if it survives in Canada, but godspeed to them.
While I don't think Canada can run its own cricket league, you have to consider immigration policies.

Toronto has about as many South Asians as NYC, which is crazy when you consider that NYC is multitudes larger than Toronto.

Vancouver has more than LA.

And I use South Asian populations as a proxy for cricket success because that is where cricket is most popular -- although it's also quite popular in England, Australia, and South Africa.

Toronto is by far the most 'Indian' city I've been to outside of India. Places like Mississauga and Brampton are like cultural wormholes into South Asia.

Personally, I would never go back to live in Mississauga or Brampton, partly because of their suburban nature, but also because it's way too Indian. I'm Indian (well, born in India but Canadian citizen), but I prefer a nice mix of cultures like you see in Toronto downtown compared to ethnic enclaves like Markham / Brampton.