View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 6:11 PM

I was at the endless city council meeting that debated this issue because they were also considering matters concerning Austin Pets Alive. The flood issue is absurd. The Austin Energy building next door and the mid-rise flanking the other side of the property also lack a safe exit to the street in the event of a 100 year flood event, but they do have rear exits that access high ground. This means that in the event of a high water situation, folks would have to remain in the proposed building until the water subsides unless they were able to access the mid-rise structures on either side. There is talk of building a walkway from the new building to the Austin Energy building, but it is not in the plans at present. Emergency vehicles would likely be able to reach the properties in question because they have raised clearance. It seemed obvious to me that the real source of opposition for this project was coming from the folks who live up in the neighborhood (Bouldin) directly above the proposed project. They don't want it built. They had the flood control guy in their pocket, or so it seemed. Right now, the food trailers occupying the parcel would be swept away in the event of that fabled 100 year flood incident. Leffingwell clearly enjoyed making that point. At least with this project, folks could stay on an upper floor for the short period of time before flood water subsided. The council debated this thing endlessly and then did what everybody knew they were going to do in the first place. The usual suspects voted against the project. I am glad this thing got the green light.

Last edited by austlar1; Jun 27, 2014 at 6:34 PM.