View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I forgot to mention that John Baird would be someone who could reach out to more progressive-type conservatives. He is fiscally conservative but quite socially liberal. Something that can go over well in Ontario. I was actually disappointed that he didn't run for the leadership of the Ontario PC party. he was a cabinet minister when Mike Harris was Premier. But I could see him wanting to lead the federal CPC.

Baird was actually great for standing up for human rights of all kinds. I believe I have read that he has a same-sex partner. That would be a major shift for the CPC alone if he were to become leader.

I always found Baird to be hilarious and quite a performer when asking or answering questions in the House of Commons or at Queen's Park. He had a sense of humour that very few conservatives had. I have a cousin who lived in the same house as him while attending Queen's University. He was even known as "Rusty" back then and was quite the character.
I'd be surprised if Baird came back. He was never the brightest bulb in the string (although by no means the worst), but more importantly I don't see him as hard-working enough to be PM.