View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 4:11 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
How does SPF with Arup (Glide) get 48% of the votes?

I think it's horrible, looks like a giant maxi pad.
Plus those stairs would get ZERO use during the winter months, what's the point?
It's you and me, buddy, vs just about everyone else.

Personally, Glide looks exactly what I'd expect Rick McIver to want in a bridge. A bland, simple ribbon of concrete with zero aesthetic charm. A plain flat chunk of rock that is pretty much the cheapest possible way to build a bridge.

Quite frankly, driving around this evening I was struck by how much interchange overpasses in this city look like the SPF proposal.

I dunno, maybe the stairs really do it for some people and could salvage this thing, but they just don't wow me in the least - at best they remind me of the stairs we already have on the north side of the Prince's Island lagoon. It's certainly not the ugliest bridge ever - if we had $5 million to spend, I'd love to see something like that. It's just that it's a very boring bridge. For $25 million I want some pizazz. Something that will impress people.

But maybe my design tastes are shit. This may be like the paneling on Le Germain - it's nice and all but I just see 1970s station wagon and Ataris, but most forumers drool over the wood laminate.

Props on having the Bow in their renderings, though.