View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londoner_abroad View Post
Apparently Urban Outfitters is coming to London. I heard rumours of this in the past however, when I heard it it was supposed to be located somewhere on Dundas. I think if Urban Outfitters would of located at Dundas and Richmond it would of helped out the downtown even more and filled an empty space (old CIBC). However, I am impressed that they did pick the core area and I am sure this will lead further announcements. LFPress article below:
Urban Outfitters coming to London
By NORMAN DE BONO, LONDON FREE PRESS

"Richmond Row is about to land a multi-billion dollar retail heavyweight.

Urban Outfitters, the stylish youth-oriented clothier, is opening a 10,000 square foot store at Richmond and Oxford streets in the former Blockbuster video store, a $3 million investment.

"I think this is huge," said Syl Carle, a Toronto businessperson who owns the building.

"That is the entrance to Richmond Row and the downtown and I truly believe it will set the tone for what is coming."

It will be the Philadelphia-based retailers first store west of Toronto, where it has three stores, and joins others in Ottawa, Kingston, Montreal and Quebec.

The space it has leased here is "huge, just huge," he added.

Urban Outfitters, also operates Anthropologie, Free People, Terrain, and BHLDN brand names in the United States, Canada, and Europe and boasts annual sales of about $2.5 billion worldwide.

Carle believes retailing may see a future trend away from big box and mall retailers and Urban Outfitters have embraced that. Its Toronto stores are streetfront operations and in Kingston it moved into a renovated downtown bank.

"Retailers are starting to recognize big box stores do not always work in certain markets and Urban Outfitters fit that," said Carle.

"They are going after very specific targets and they cannot really do that in a Big Box setting. This tenant is very forward-looking."

The store is hoping it will tap into the market of Western University students who frequent that area.

Urban Outfitters could not be reached for comment Friday.

"It is such a vote of confidence in the core area," said Brad Scrinko, owner of Gift of Art and board member with the Richmond Row Merchants Association.

"It is great to have one-of-a-kind stores, they are the heart of the area, but its good to have a major chain anchor too. That mix is very successful."

In fact, few independent retailers could absorb a large space such as the southwest corner of the intersection, he added.

"It is all about having a diverse mix. People will come down and shop there and visit other stores and restaurants here," said Scrinko.

Work is now underway on the store and it will open likely in the fall. It has signed a long term lease, he added.

Carle has owned that space since 2001."
What a coupe for London, Downtown retail is so hard to attract in small and medium sized cities. Hopefully your downtown continues to bring in new retailers.