View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 11:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
That's perfectly fine. But I'd like to believe the forum is intelligent enough to recognize the deficiency in the ... as in the case of Houston over the past 20 years. Get it?

I like this argument a lot.

More to the point, I honestly don't understand this obsession with population and diversity. Since when are these things a measure of a city's worth? That is, this gets at a bigger point. What quantifies a city's worth? It seems intangible to the point that this whole debate, or whatever this is, is completely worthless and trite.

Portland, OR has a very small population. It isn't particularly diverse. And it isn't a major world city. Nonetheless, it is, in my opinion, one the nicest and coolest places in the US, full of awesome restaurants, an abundance of activities, full of energy, and so on... whatever.

What am I saying? This whole desperate attempt to convey Houston's world class status on an internet forum is silly and sad. It isn't a world class city. Who fucking cares how many people live there? It's an interesting South Texas city with really good Mexican food, a bizarre (this is a desirable adjective) art scene, has a really strong economy, and home to some really eclectic and interesting small businesses; but it's also absurdly hot, completely suburban and sprawled out disgustingly far, and has shit for entertainment, nightlife or otherwise. Nothing more and nothing less. But again, this is just how I feel about the city. And who on this forum really cares about that?

This country has 3 major world cities: NYC, LA, and Chicago... and then there's DC and San Fran... everything else is just that... everything else. Jesus, this has been going on for YEARS.

Silly quibble: Houston isn't a particularly young city. 1837, same as Chicago, 13 years before LA.