View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
not getting into this argument, but what are the TTC numbers? system or metro only?

Also, Chicago does have a rather extensive commuter rail network; Metra - that somewhat doubles as another subway system (has many lines with many stops in the inner city and core).

I think you have to take this into account given Chicago's layout and development vs. Toronto's recent accent.
TTC serves City of Toronto only. YRT also contracts out many routes to TTC in York Region, but those are counted as part of YRT numbers only. MiWay is for Mississauga, Brampton Transit for Brampton.

Sorry, for lack of explanation, I didn't realize people from outside Toronto area would see my post. Maybe it is a little over the top, I wasn't trying to provoke people from Chicago, I was trying to provoke people from Toronto.

Commuter rail is based on park and ride, even a station in the middle of nowhere can be heavily used, so I think it's better to look at local transit. In any case, GO Transit had 69.5M riders in 2015 (~52M train), Metra had 81.6M (all train), so there's not much difference between GO and Metra if you consider population.

But you do bring up a good point about Metra serving City of Chicago residents. TTC is very hostile to suburban transit systems, even going as far to ban them from providing service within Toronto borders, so TTC's own numbers perhaps slightly inflated. TTC is a very backwards agency. But then again GO is not very willing to cooperate with TTC either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Where are you getting your information from? I see no indication that Chicagoland is declining (maybe slowing) in population. City of Chicago or Cook County? Ok. But not the entire metropolitan area.
Yeah saw it when I search population numbers:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...324-story.html

Apparently not is only Chicago metro area declining population but state of Illinois as a whole.