View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
626 Stevens Place and the Tamale Factory

I noticed the 'rooms' to the left of the tamale factory. -no doubt for his vendors or tamale cooks(?)

also, that one small square building appears to have been built over the property line. why is that?
__
Here's one possible explanation. I have looked at all the available Sanborn maps of our house here in Bungalow Heaven. It was built in 1885 on an acre of land; now, it is on a third of an acre, and the lot widens ten feet in the back 50 feet. I used to wonder why, until I saw the Sanborn maps.

The lots were initially laid out in 1910, when the subdivision was created, and the Sanborn map from that year shows that the lots were rather different along our street from what they ended up being. Our own lot was at that point the same width all the way back--and the property line exactly bisects the outhouse. Apparently the lots were laid out on paper without a survey.

The next Sanborn map shows the property lines mostly as they are today.

So when you see a property line going through an existing structure on a Sanborn map, it could mean that a lot was subdivided after it was developed.