View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm still waiting for a recent daytime population study for various cities. Would be interesting to see stats for London and NY.

Stats measuring peak population, commuters in/out, weekday vs weekend pop stats.

I recall a 2012 NYU Wagner study said that on any given weekday, there are 4 million folks in Manhattan. Will be higher in 2017.

Still, 4 million over 22-23 sq miles is a density of 174k/sq-mile.

I'd say over 300 land sq miles, the daytime population has to be 10 million on any given weekday. Just a general approximation for 2017. I don't think the Census results truly factor in illegals. Last I've heard, estimates put it at 500k for illegals.

If we factor in tourism numbers, 60 million/year and rising, we come out to a conservative 200k per day. Summer will be higher, but just as a stats exercise.
The latest stats from the London mayor's office were from 2014, and they say "over 10 million". Most of the incremental is of course in central London. So that sounds about right for NY too.

https://data.london.gov.uk/apps_and_...f-london-2014/
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov