View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 3:09 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I think this would be a good idea, but it doesn’t sound like what the OP is intending to accomplish.

Specifically, the thread title includes “most wanted”, which is popular lingo used in the process of rounding up criminals who are not in custody, for example.

Secondly, the post refers to gathering data and information on individuals and organizations, not discussing the performance records of our elected officials.

Then there is a standing accusation of undemocratic activity of these individuals/organizations, which sounds like a thread that’s open to false accusations and misinformation… a moderator’s nightmare, IMHO.

Just my opinion, as usual, but the whole thing feels a little cringey to me.
Totally understand your opinion. The cringe is supposed to be more of a joke... that being said... the results of the past 20 years of being on this forum and seeing the results are very much scary.

We have to make light of it because it's so bad. Why are certain people on speed dial of local media when they often don't even live in proximity to a development???

I'm talking about both officials in how they vote (do we know who has voted against literally every development?) as well as private citizens who seemingly have the time to go out to every meeting or speak to every news outlet (how do they have access over people's balanced opinions on, for example, this forum)... but it isn't known to the wider public.

Go check the comments on FB posts in the HFX developments page vs what happens at meetings or in the news. Many anti-development folks would lead us to believe that the majority of people hold their beliefs.

Do we actually know how often we see particular people in news articles literally copy-paste either "why" a development isn't appropriate or use particular "tactics" that are, frankly, not activism... they're often mis-using public processes that aren't designed for this concerted approach (busybody rules, anyone?)

Thus, the point is to have a place where we can see the 'bigger' picture.

It could be argued that there are 100,000+ units of housing we don't currently have, but its hard to know. I thought it was redundant until recent activities (e.g., threats to sue our local government based on projects that have gone through legal processes).

Surely the status quo demands some scrutiny. Is there a way to change the thread name?

An alternative name to a place where data/info on developments go to never seen the light (or height ) of day and the people who were involved in their demise? Is that wrong considering this is the public record and people choose to go stop housing from being built? I mean, it seems a bit stupid not to?