View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
I think the issue with city council is that they always find ways to take more money and then theres public outrage over what they spend that money on. Many people dislike the pedestrian bridges, and almost all are united against the raises the aldermen gave themselves during these times.
City council didn't vote themselves a pay raise. Their salary increase is tied to the average salary increases of Albertans between a certain time period. The economy during that time was strong, the cost of living was increasing.

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....mpensation.htm

The whole point of the Independent Compensation Review Committee was so that aldermen couldn't vote themselves a pay raise. They didn't and can't vote themselves a pay raise. The media spin on the issue suggested otherwise, and the general public accepted it.

I would imagine that the next time this issue comes up it will result in a decrease of salary given the economic situation.

I'm not defending all of city council's actions as I feel that fearing the voters is often a good thing. But in this case, the media whipped people into a frenzy with misinformation. Sells more papers and gets more viewers, I guess.