View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 8:06 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

NY1

City Proposes Tracking All Vehicles Entering Manhattan

Plans are in the works for a sweeping new security plan that would include photographing every vehicle entering Manhattan in an effort to prevent a terror attack.

The plan, called Operation Sentinel, calls for photographing and scanning the license plate of every vehicle at all bridges and tunnels and using sensors to detect radioactivity. The information on each vehicle would be sent to a command center in Lower Manhattan where it would be indexed and stored for at least a month.

According to the New York Times, some of the technology is still being perfected.

While some privacy concerns have been raised, most drivers NY1 spoke with this morning said they did not have a problem with the plan.

"Anything for security. It doesn't bother me a bit," said one driver. "It should bother the people who have something to worry about."

"If you have nothing to hide, how can it hurt?" said another.

"I'm liberal when it comes to I don't like Big Brother watching everything you do, but you know in these times, what are you gonna do?" said a third.

"As long as everyone's safe. That's number one," said a fourth.

The proposal is just one element of the latest security plan that's mainly focused on the World Trade Center site. It includes placing the entire area within a security zone, in which only specially screened taxis, limousines, and cars would be allowed through barriers manned by police officers at five entry points.

According to the New York Times, the barriers raised concerns among downtown companies that say it will make doing business in the area more difficult.

The New York Police Department says that people entering every day will be able to enter a program where their cars can be pre-screened.

The NYPD insists that the program will not be disruptive to pedestrians.