View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 7:01 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The building actually takes up a very small part of that block. Maybe only 1/8 or less. It would be nice to see a developer come in and restore it and use it in conjunction with other buildings in a project. That building could be residential and retail, and they could have larger/taller buildings to the west. The building doesn't even front the river, so anything new that was built, would pretty much have a blank block to develop and plan something along the river. I don't understand why the building has to be torn down first, when there's a lot of surface parking (about 50,000 square feet worth) right next to it.
As a developer I would pause at the notion that the portion of my site with the greatest potential for height was already nailed down as a thin 10-story structure.

Remember that the Riverwalk has rules attached to development that limits the amount of sunlight that can be blocked from the Riverwalk itself - causing a whole host of design alterations to accomodate the rule. Ideally, the tallest structure would be on the east side of the lot, with building scaling down towards the river, providing the maximum density while still observing the sunlight regulations.