View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
That has nothing to do with "the coasts" but small town v. big city. I came from the east coast and live in Texas. My hometown in Upstate NY (plus I also lived in New England) was very insular where as big Texas cities are very welcoming of immigrants.
Majority of the countries largest cities/metros are along the coast, didn't think I would have to clarify but ok LOL.

But can it truly be big vs small? and not cultural ?, the coasts (nothing to do with how big the cities/counties are) are more culturally diverse than the interiors. Yeah you will find gaps in the coasts where that diversity falls , even I know the severe upper NE isn't as diverse as say a drive south to Boston or NY, but the world is more aware of the coastal regions rather than the interiors.. Nothing wrong with that, but cultural diversity will most likely be found along the coast, making immigrants feel more welcomed there, rather than in the central/plain states where they may be meet with odd stares and less friendly attitudes.

I can name a few "Large/medium" cities in the central states that aren't as friendly/accepting/cultural hubs as compared to their coastal counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
People from the coasts refer to anything between I-95/I-87 in the east and US 101/I-5 in the west as fly-over hinterlands where there be Waffle Houses, dragons and republicans. Texas falls within this abyss. We had to create our own "third" coast here.
I cant really speak for the east coast, but the west coast....everything bordering California and a few states further are for sure not "Fly-Over" country. Especially with how intertwined CA is with Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas and etc. If anything, the severe mid west (Idaho, Dakotas,Montana, Iowa, Kansas, Wyoming and etc.) and sever south ( Kentucky, Arkansas, West Virginia, Tennessee and etc. ) are the states that make us say......BLAH........ HAHAHAHAHA.

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 7, 2017 at 3:24 AM.