View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2019, 3:00 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

I laughed when an American told me that they were surprised to see high school students taking the train to school. To me that is as just normal even in elementary school to use transit. (And I grew up in the country side!)
Most Canadian metros will end up looking a lot like Vancouver (multiple dense clusters scattered about) but most still don't look like that. In Halifax, for instance, kids still walk/drive to high school. I certainly did. There is no rail. And in most Canadian CMAs PT is still considered something poor people use. It's the big 3 metros that are the exception to that rule.

This will change as our metros get denser and PT becomes viable/good enough over larger swaths of our cities but we're not there yet. Even in Toronto, PT just isn't an attractive option in many cases. I live downtown and currently work in Etobicoke but there's no way in hell I'm taking PT to get there. Not happening. If I can't get there on a subway I either drive or don't go at all.

I take the Gardiner Expressway depicted on the left. You'd think there would be decent PT between downtown and the suburban cluster in Etobicoke's Humber Bay Shores (centre) but there's not. Even if they built a subway to that cluster I'd still drive as I work 5 km further west than that cluster. The people living in Humber Bay Shores are all car dependent. They drive everywhere. They don't walk or bike either.

Courtesy of Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Given its size, Vancouver has no right being in the top ten metro systems for ridership in North America, but it is!
And Montreal has no business having the 3rd most average daily boardings of any metro system after NYC and Mexico City. It's slightly ahead of Toronto in 4th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership

Last edited by isaidso; Nov 3, 2019 at 3:20 PM.