View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 8:25 AM
loafing in lotusland

I don't see it as diverting traffic to the Valley. I see it as an option to traveling out of YVR. From Surrey, YXX is about the same distance from YVR and YXX, depending on where in Surrey you are. The difference is that once you hit the #1, you can be at YXX in 25 minutes.

I can definitely see flights to India from Abbotsford. With the growing Korean population one to Seoul, too.

I'm not a fan of the HUB system. If I'm going to Disneyland, I don't want to go to LAX, I want to go to Ontario Airport.

If I'm going to Edinburgh, I don't want to have to fly to Glasgow. Airports with smaller planes and full flights serving people where people live.

I see a few possibilities for YXX:
Low cost airlines (similar to Bellingham and Allegiant)
Seasonal Charters (Hawaii, Europe)
A few select Special Destinations (India, Korea)

I don't see why we have to grow YVR for the sake of growing it. I'm fine with it growing slower while Abbotsford takes on more flights.

Also, the Mirabel comment make no sense.

Mirabel airport was supposed to be the MAIN airport, not a secondary one. Dorval was planned to be closed down. Mirabel also didn't serve any population. It was supposed to serve Montreal. YXX serves local population (realistically, those south of the Fraser River) as well as serving as a possible secondary airport for Metro Vancouver. It's nothing like Mirabel.