View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
I get that, and I honestly do understand that there is not much of an office demand either here, but I try to look at what would be more beneficial to Wilmington. It might sound great to have thousands of ugly short apartments sprouting up everywhere, but the more I think about it, I don't see a living demand here either. I say that Wilmington should focus on office more because it is LOOSING OFFICES. Entire buildings like Hercules (and some of Dupont for a time) are vacant. And guess what happens to these buildings. More apartments. It's such a shame to see what was once a booming city turn into an apartment city.
The reason the office buildings are empty and being replaced by apartments is because businesses don't want the office space, as people previously pointed out, if the demand was there then you would see more office buildings. Businesses don't magically appear, and Delaware has no real business plan to attract new companies. I like Wilmington, I go to the Riverfront, walk through Market Street, take the Amtrak out of the station....but why would, say, Amazon (Since thats the hot topic right now) have any desire to move to Wilmington? High Crime, street after street of boarded up windows, 1 university which puts out a tiny amount of tech students, a 1% wage tax? The state needs to do a makeover, they just say "It would be great if we could be a tech state... so that's what we are, we're getting tech companies" and then half a%$ some minor incentives. We have credit cards because of pro bank usury laws, we have incorporations because of the court of chancery, if DE wants more business then they have to innovate or give real incentives like these aforementioned pros.

I would love to see the office buildings in DE packed, but the state can't just wish for it, look at the competition. High tech talent in Boston, Pro business laws, mild winters, cheap cost of living and high tech talent in Austin, high tech talent and innovation in San Francisco, what does Wilmington offer them?