View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2007, 2:32 PM

There have been so few postings on this thread lately that I had to dig it out from page 2. Anyway, this article from this mornings Trib isn't too long, so I figured I'd post the whole thing here and save everyone a mouse click:
--------------------
Woods Cross residents worry about UTA rail station plan
By Cathy McKitrick
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 05/17/2007 07:05:35 AM MDT

Posted: 7:06 AM- WOODS CROSS - Although many are eager to climb aboard commuter rail next year, some residents dread what a nearby station could bring to their Woods Cross neighborhood.
Utah Transit Authority already has Planning Commission approval for its 10-acre rail station and 280-stall park-and-ride lot along 800 West between 500 South and 1000 South.
The plan calls for two access points, one from the north and the other from the south, directly across from Ed Goble's home.
Goble filed an appeal with the city, hoping UTA would reconfigure its plan and eliminate the south entrance.
"People want a train and public transit - just not in their front yard," Goble told the City Council this week.
He and a few of his neighbors voiced concerns over the station's impacts, such as declining property values and increased traffic and crime.
Goble drew up a single-entrance layout he believed would work for the Woods Cross site.
After a public hearing, the council rejected Goble's appeal, but requested that transit officials revisit the neighborhood's concerns six months after the station opens to gauge its impacts on the nearby homes.
UTA's FrontRunner heavy commuter-rail line from Pleasant View to Salt Lake City should be ready for passengers in 2008.

--------------------

I guess that makes him a NIMFY since he's fighting development in his front yard instead of his backyard.

I live adjacent to the new station in Clearfield, and I couldn't be happier. I already live near a railroad, now I will be next to a rail line that increases my property value, and slashes my commute time. What could be better?