View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 7:38 PM
Dandy Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dirt View Post
The final sentence of my previous quote was no doubt a bit hyperbolic, but I remain convinced that Cambridge is a fairly homogeneous place--certainly compared to Boston and most likely about the same level of diversity as Brookline. There's nothing wrong with having a city filled with anti-establishment leftists and it can be quite refreshing, as long as they don't use it as a platform for justifying smug comparisons against neighboring cities that are less that way. Smugness is never a "deserved" quality IMO, despite others' claims to the contrary. Maybe Cambridge had a diversity of opinion thirty years ago when it wasn't so blamed expensive, but these days people pay a premium to live there and, if they choose to live there and aren't poor students or public housing residents (and, let's face it, most of the students are not poor at all) they've decided to pay that price because they buy into the prevailing culture. Nothing wrong with that; it's human nature. But I'd bet the farm that if the population of Cambridge were asked, for example, to read the lead article by Joel Kotkin featured here, 90% of them would be in near complete agreement.

Somerville seems quite a bit more diverse to me.
Funny that you say that, you must have seen that I'm from there.

Yes by comparison Somerville is far more diverse than Cambridge in opinion. I suppose I fancy Cambridge because it was my escape from the repressive townie culture of Somerville. Either way growing up next to Cambridge I can tell you first hand they are smug bastards, but its not because they're all leftists.