View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 12:54 AM
most inspired name ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo26 View Post
The problem isn't with the poor per se, or those living in public housing complexes, it's the way some of them dress, look, and behave - i.e. grubby, smelly winos, and as one poster here put it, 'meth-mouth skanks'.

It doesn't take a lot of wealth to dress or look like you have some self respect and respect for other people. Winos aside, I personally don't care to look at single mothers pushing baby carriages and who are dressed in such a way that their tattoos and piercings take centre stage. Yuck.

The generally unpleasant look and feel of the downtown core has multifactorial origins, but let me take a stab at illustrating what I think are some of the major causes.

First, the Dundas-Richmond intersection is essentially a central terminal for city buses. Since the poor tend to be the heaviest users of public transit, the positioning of the buses causes the poor (and in turn, a lot of grubby, smelly people) to congregate in the area.

And it's all because the city is too cheap to build a proper bus terminal - or it can't seem to resist engaging in the endless and overwrought hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth that goes with the possibility that a few 'heritage' buildings might have to be torn down to make room for such a terminal.

The end result is that important decisions don't get made, and opportunities get squandered - or delayed for another 50 years, so some city councillors don't have to make the tough decisions that might cost them some votes and get negative coverage in the Freeps. Like it or not, there are a lot of so-called 'heritage' properties in London's downtown core that aren't economically viable, and cannot be restored to such a state. London has a terrible record when it comes to its city government making decisions - and it's something that goes far beyond mere 'analysis paralysis'.

Next are the numerous marginal businesses - cheap eateries, pay-day loan shops and pawn shops that are located in the downtown core, particularly at the Dundas/Richmond intersection, and thereby exacerbate the problem of undesirables pooling in this area. The presence of the local welfare office and the McDonald's restaurant at that street corner don't help matters any. Of course, the reason why these businesses even exist in this area to begin with is because of an unholy alliance of sorts - the landlords have space that no one else wants, so they rent to marginal players, and the city is desperate for tax revenue, so it looks the other way.

A third possible cause is the tendency of planners over the last forty years or so to locate public housing close to public transit routes, with the idea of making the lives of the poor a little less burdensome. As a result, London has numerous public housing properties clustered within a 2 - 3km radius of the downtown core.

In fairness, I recognize that efforts are underway to try to make the core more attractive to better-quality businesses in the hope that they will eventually crowd out the marginal ones. However, the process could be accelerated if a proper bus terminal was built, and the welfare office was relocated along with the marginal businesses. The idea behind all this, of course, is to decentralize and scatter the attractors that cause the current problem we have in the downtown core.
We should displace people who don't share our ideals, our wealth or are values and judge them based upon their socio-economic status? Come on now. There are many names for that type of thinking..

The problem isn't the fact that the transit congregates there, its that London doesn't have a good enough transit system to appeal to any persons that can afford a car or doesn't live relatively close to the core of the city. There is little public space in that area so it also helps with the illusion of tons of people

The numerous money-marts and fast food I don't agree with in the slightest. Most people on welfare own their own home (was recently published in a Metro article) and don't tend to hang around, as being a recent college graduate as the economy took a massive hit, I had visited that office, and the YOU employment office in the market tower, most people are just like you or I need assistance finding employment.(For the record I never had to go on welfare but it was close.

Downtown is suffering from arrogance, conservative closed minded thinking and a lack of belief from London's residence, local investors in the core, ignorance. I'n this last year since I've been here I have seen some amazing improvements and witnessed many great events happen in the core perpendicularly on Dundas, most people just arn't aware because they are afraid to look.