View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks for answering my question Lorendoc. I really appreciate it.

As a reminder, here's Jack Dempsey's home in Los Angeles.

1920s postcard

The boxing champion used this photograph in his autobiography, DEMPSEY

paradise leased

"The Dempsey home had been built by local businessman A.B. Tomlinson at the turn of the Twentieth Century.
The most dramatic feature of the Mission Style house was an elaborate heraldic crest emblazoned in bold bas relief above the entry portal.
Prior to Dempsey’s arrival, the home had a colorful ownership history that included newspaper magnate John Bradbury of the L.A. Herald,
and “Copper King” Colonel W. C. Greene."
paradised leased

The home was torn down in 1968. (I hope someone had the sense to save the herald crest) It looks like a real work of art.

Today, the Country Villa East Healthcare Center sits where Jack Dempsey's home used to be.

looking west / north is at right

gsv

The mansion you see next door is the 1908 Frederick L. Roehrig designed William E. Ramsey (Ramsey-Durfee) Estate
at 2425 South Western Avenue. (also known as 'Villa Maria')

Many more Ramsey-Durfee details HERE

ANYWHO...

In 1978, St. John of God bought the Ramsay-Durfee property from the Estate of Nellie Durfee for $470,000.

Their website has an aerial that also captures the Jack Dempsy's home.

It's over on the right-------->

here's a closer look

detail

More googling led me to a couple old postcards.

hippostcard

This must be the beautiful white mansion in the aerial. (if the postcard shows the side view; where the heck is the front?)

detail

Have we discussed this mansion on nla? -perhaps under a different name.

Postcard #2

hippostcard

At first I was confused by this postcard, but now I believe it's the building I've circled below.

detail

So what estate was that one? (GW?)

__
St. John of God Retirement and Care Center
My first two years of undergrad at UCLA I lived in the dorm and they had buses that would take us to the UCLA games at the Mausoleum(they didn't start playing at the Rose Bowl until the year after I graduated). They would take Western to get back to the 10 to avoid(at least some) traffic. By the time we'd get to the freeway it was usually after dark and I remember seeing those walls and the foliage and everything was dark, very creepy.