View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2011, 4:16 PM
Honored Member

I think the Poletown area is ripe for an urban re-imagination project and I don't think it would be as hard as some might expect to attract people to the neighborhood. I would expect there to be a market for people who want a relatively large home with a backyard but with quick access to the amenities of the Lower Woodward corridor. While the average lot size in the Poletown area is about 100' x 30' or 1/16 of an acre, that's still more space than what they'd get in an 800 sq. ft. loft in Midtown. A house in Poletown would presumably be more affordable.

Chene St could easily become a "main" street of sorts with shops, restaurants, etc. that cater to the neighborhood. There would already be the foundations of a farm market in the form of Chene Market. There are several schools and a theatre that could be renovated. Bike lanes along Ferry, St. Aubin and Warren would mean bicyclist would be minutes from the Midtown Loop or even the Dequindre Cut. There's also Perrien Park (which I would love to see expanded to include the area bounded McDougall, Warren, Forest, and Chene).

If they did build a stream through the neighborhood, I would hope they keep the street grid intact. In fact, if they do anything to the neighborhood, I would hope they keep the current infrastructure layout as it is. No complexes, no front-side garages, no dead ends, no vinyl, etc. They should rebuild the neighborhood in a style ranging somewhere between the 1870's and the 1930's, but obviously with modern technology.

At least that's my dream...