View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 11:36 PM
somewhere in-between

This was completed a few months ago now. David L. Soltz Hall, Bloomsburg University's newest residence hall, opened on August 21 to serve students for the Fall 2017 academic year. It was in the design phase when I was moving out of Pennsylvania in 2015, and seeing this thread made me wonder how it turned out. I'd say it turned out pretty well.
  • Design Architect: HKS, Inc. (Atlanta)
  • Associate Architect: Murray Associates (Harrisburg)
  • CM: Reynolds Solutions (Harrisburg)
  • General Contractor: Quandel Construction Group (Harrisburg)
According to BU's Office of Residence Life website,

Quote:
...David L. Soltz Hall is a 7-story, 163,000 square foot structure featuring 135 suites and housing 394 students in 11 single, 37 double, 39 triple & 48 quad configurations. The building's first floor, which is open to the public, features the University Store, and two nationally known restaurants, Chick-fil-A® and QDOBA Mexican Eats®. The second story is home to a collaborative learning space and a rooftop terrace where residents can enjoy the outdoors. The plaza between Soltz Hall and Luzerne Hall includes a gathering space featuring a fire pit as well as the entrance to University Mail Services and the Husky Mail Hub.
Construction costs were $47.6 million. Design, demolition, furnishings, construction management and other soft costs added up to $12 million. This multi-use, energy-efficient residence hall is the latest piece in BU's efforts to evolve its campus to provide more on-campus housing options. The University is one of the larger of 14 schools in PA's State System of Higher Education (PASSHE). BU currently has about 10,000 students, about 40% of which live on campus.

Some of the renderings:

Images Source: BU Res Life

The finished product - exterior:

and Interior:

Images Source: Reynolds Solutions

Some floor plans:

Image Source: BU Res Life

Image Source: BU Res Life

More Info:

Quote:
Facility fills housing need at Bloomsburg University
By Joe Sylvester | The Daily Item
August 21, 2017

Last edited by deja vu; Nov 5, 2017 at 3:33 AM.