Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
The 1925 Young's Market Co. building at the SW corner of 7th and Union:

GSV, 2011

vintage detail

unknown/old cd of mine

today

gsv/2011

I wonder who would have been the clientele for Young's Market?

Well, just south of Young's Market on Union Ave. is the old Charleston Hotel & Apts.

gsv

impressive old sign

gsv

entrance

gsv
__

Across from the Charleston is the old Stuart Hotel. (looking south on Union Ave.)

gsv

a fairly nice entrance (beneath a hideous sign)

gsv
__

South of the Stuart Hotel is the white and gold Cambria Union Apartments on the southeast corner of Union Ave. and Cambria Street.

gsv

rare

www.cardcow.com

downtown Los Angeles looms in the distance

gsv

ebay

gsv
__

Further down Union Ave. on the southwest corner of Union Ave. & 8th Street is another remarkable apartment building from the same time period.

gsv

quite eclectic

gvs

and very interesting

gsv

Somewhere in my files I have a 1970s black & white photograph of this apartment when it was in disrepair.
__

Mr. Young's customers could have come from the opposite direction as well.
This view is looking north across 7th Street on Union Ave. In the distance is the massive President Hotel and Apts. (built in 1928 and designed by architect C. Waldo Powers)

gsv

like the Charleston, it still sports an impressive vintage sign. (I would have preferred a rooftop sign )

gsv

gsv
__

I'm sure back in the day this neighborhood was 2 or 3 times as dense as it is now. Many of Young's customers would have been commuters traveling west on 7th Street from downtown Los Angeles ("Honey, would you pick up a nice brisket on your way home?")
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 30, 2013 at 12:50 AM.