View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 3:34 PM
bro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I am not saying London doesn't have some things going for it. In terms of the Old East Village building it was more of a question than anything, as I have driven past it multiple times and wondered "why there". As I said, Richmond is its best aspect. I personally don't think the downtown is that fascinating. But then again why would it be? It is a city of 350 000. It has its perks and it is moving, but my point was just that for the amount of growth the city has, I would expect there to be more going on downtown.

I actually live right outside of London (Ingersoll) and have for the past 8 years so my opinion isn't of an ignorant bias, it is just that; an opinion. And I have seen every vantage point there is for the skyline, and you're right there are certain places where there are some pretty decent views (For Example heading North on Commisioner's just past Southdale).

Another thing that kills it for me, is Farhi. Why is his name on everything? It makes me feel like I am living in Dubai. It wouldn't bother me if I hadn't met him personally and known that he is really a rude, snobbish individual.

And on the earlier post on One London Place; Beautiful building. Horrible location. It doesn't fit in with the skyline at all in my opinion. It sticks out like a sore thumb. But than again I also think that the CN Tower punches out in an odd way, so take that with a grain of salt. I would, however take Portage and Main over One London Place any day.
That's cool, chris. I wasn't offended by your post or anything, guess I was just a little too abrupt with my reply. Since you're a local, you should definitely try popping by the London forum here more often. It'd be great to have another active member chiming in on topics. Also, as someone who lives in London's core and experiences it 24/7, it really isn't as dull and boring as people make it out to be. There's always something to do and a surprising amount of people are finally starting to call our downtown home.

----------------

Aight, just to try and prove my "mid-rises not affecting London's skyline" point, I leaned out the windows of my apartment and quickly snapped a few pictures. This is just what I can see from my apartment, obviously there are numerous mid-rises scattered throughout downtown. There's also half a dozen prominent churches and mid-rises lining Richmond Row that are obscured. Virtually none of the following buildings can be seen from outside of downtown. They are all within the 6-10 story range, but none of them can break the tree line. These are the types of buildings that make the Halifax skyline look so dense, and at the same time do absolutely nothing for London's skyline. See how good vantage points and sightlines can make a huge difference?

All three of these buildings can't be seen from outside downtown:

The large London Life complex on the left and the 12-story red brick apartment in the background can't be seen:

This 10-story 1940's art deco building isn't visible:

All five of these 10-story buildings (and church) can't be seen:

The 6-story bank in the centre of this image and the 6-story Market Tower on the left:

This ugly Stantec building can't be seen:

The top third of the 14-story RBC building on the right is visible, but the ugly white 9-story building can't be seen:

I made an exception for our Dominion Public building and ran out behind my apartment in a t-shirt. At 8-stories it isn't quite as impressive as Halifax' Dominion Public, but it's still one of London's most attractive buildings:

Again, I'm not trying to say anything negative about Halifax. You guys have a beautiful skyline and should absolutely be proud. It's just unfortunate for London that for us to get the same kind of recognition we have to go above and beyond what other cities have to.