View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 3:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
The Daytona area in particular with it's satellite town cetners (New Smyrna, Ormond Beach, Ponce Inlet) could use a fresh infusion of development.
OMG, don't let my Mom hear you say that. The rest of my family lives in Ormond Beach and likes it just the way it is, thanks. Say the word "condo" and you will get curses out of most of them. But I do think that the core of Daytona Beach could be much more dense and Miami-like--and less sleazy. To get that way comfortably, though, I think some other things about Florida will have to change dramatically. I'm thinking if the utter dependence on the automobile, for one thing. I read elsewhere about new commuter rail in Orange County and that's a very good thing. But Florida should build high-speed rail in the medians of I-4 connecting Tampa, Orlando and Daytona, and the Florida Turnpike connecting Orlando and Miami (and the east-west I-4 route). And Daytona itself, because it's a pretty narrow north-south strip, is perfect for light rail up and down A1A.

Palatka, by the way, is where I think I'd live if I moved back to FL and I was hoping nobody else had even heard of it.