View Single Post
Old Posted May 25, 2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Remember that a number of enclosed "arcades" existed on Robson Street and have or are in the process of being converted or filled in.

"Robson Galleria" - where the Gap, Settebello's and Below the Belt? are/were located was an indoor mall/arcade (no doors, just an overhead gate came down at night - so it was "open") - that's why the barrel vaulted atrium is there.

Ditto for the location where Bluenotes, Bread Garden and Moxies are/were - that was an indoor mall/arcade too.

Now the plaza/arcade with Tsunami Sushi, etc. is being enclosed for Forever 21.

Over time, each failed to attract customers into the space and have been converted to conventional streetfront retail.

Ditto for "arcades" in Yaletown.
Empress and Empress II (Homer & Helmcken) and The Murchies Building (Homer & Davie) were originally converted as strata-titled retail arcades. There are other examples in Yaletown too. None of them are successful.
Aren't most of these gallerias rather than arcades? I can see why they wouldn't have worked and the ones I've seen on Robson don't look all that welcoming.

An arcade though - an actual passage way with a beginning and an end, covered with shops lining them - I could totally see that working in Vancouver.

Just as an example, here's a picture of one in my home city of Cardiff. It links two busy streets so tends to feed them rather than suck away street life.