View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. Do all 250,000 of these students pay their own tuition?
Of course not... I'm in my last year of university, if I could guesstimate I'd say about 30% of them do? Maybe I just don't hang out with the less-fortunate ones.

What it seems to boil down to is the 'severity' of the increase (% wise), plus the fact every previous government has backed away from plans to raise fees. So while the planned increase would make tuition 75% more expensive (75% = 1625$) the student unions, and generally all of Quebec's left leaners (i.e. europe-style left) are calling for a freeze or simply free education.
The gap between these two proposals is pretty large, hence the anger.

For the record, I'm against the increase in theory but I support it here and now, because the debt situation in Quebec is pretty out of control. If we want to make education we'll have to re-arrange quite a few parametres. The argument from those against the rise are that we should cut elsewhere, but for the most part 'elsewhere' are heavily unionized sectors who simply won't accept cuts.

People have totally omitted from the debate how much cash is eaten up by having to pay interest rates on the debt.