View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post

"KEHE, the official broadcasting station of The Evening Herald and Express. KEHE officially opens this modernistic new studio at 141 North Vermont Avenue, with a lavish three-day dedicatory program. The building is devoted exclusively to broadcasting activities, and is the most modern of its kind. It is air conditioned and indirectly lighted and contains the latest radio equipment. Its striking tower with neon lighting effects mark the new structure. Photo dated: April 27, 1937. "

"A look at the radio tower of KFI on top of the building where broadcasting took place. The station was then owned by Earl C. Anthony, Inc. Anthony was also a Packard car dealer."

I wonder where this was located? What is the building with the domes, down the street? (Not the Santa Fe train station, is it?)

Hey all! Been a long time. But seeing the KEHE made me need to jump back in. First of all, I wanted to note that the domed building up the street is the B'nai B'rith temple, talked about here. But back to KEHE:

One of my fave buildings in town, one of the greats by the great Stiles Clements. A 1937 wonder criminally demolished -- they could have at least kept the facade, a la the 1938 bowling/ABC/TAV on Vine nr Sunset that became the Schwabs -- but the Conservancy was busy with the Ambassador, and the LAUSD did a little gaslight shellgame and there was no review before they knocked her down.

12/9/36 lapl

4/27/37 lapl
2/16/03 by me

lapl

12/9/36 lapl

Note the lobby rotunda. Here's a shot of it, oh, a little later.

Yeah, church and state, etc., but I think the rotunda's verses from Psalms (19:2-4) say something profound in instructing to-days youth about education just as they once imparted wisdom about broadcasting: Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. Not to be. Above image from here which you must click and read many amazements.

4/27/37 lapl

The 300-seat auditorium, separate entrance from the street, where audiences watched broadcasts. The auditorium again:

here

usc

KEHE was a Hearst station, bought by Earl C. Anthony in 1939, it becomes his KFI and KECA (his initials, natch) and hence all the neon rebranding.

As you can see

it was totally intact and returnable to its former glory.

Because they're so laughingly inept at doing the one thing they're supposed to -- educate children -- you'd think they'd be good at nothing. Turns out LAUSD is very, very good at corruption, vice, and cultural terrorism.

At least a friend of mine pried off her street numbers (no, not those ones, those ones)

so at least there remains some small physical evidence of this beauty's existence.

More about the building here and here and here.