View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
I haven't been following the Brier this weekend but overheard on a local Brier report that with the power going out during one of the games, the ice had changed conditions for the Canada and Northern Ontario game and may have affected play..
I've heard power outages are a common thing in Newfoundland but doesn't the ice rink there have backup power for each time this happens? I understand that it's usually pretty wild weather there to be sure, but even this particular Winter storm was probably worst than most.
There are backup generators at Mile One, however I believe they're mostly used for emergency lighting and whatnot. It probably took a while to get the entire building up. I believe power was restored in that area of downtown pretty quickly, more likely than not it was just a local outage from a downed line, unlike other parts of the city/province where entire transmission lines and towers came tumbling down. Power outages can be common in the winter months during storms, but this truly was a once in a 50 year kind of wind storm. Winds gusting to 160 in the city didn't even happen during Hurricane Igor; there's not a lot you can do with that kind of widespread damage to the electrical grid.

No doubt spending that long in unideal conditions may have affected the ice. Plus, having to be out of the mindset of the game for an hour can really change a games outcome. Just look at Superbowl 47, it was essentially two completely different games: before and after the power outage.