View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 6:40 PM

I'm not so sure that the reporter from NYC actually knew about the Railroad Museum before arriving in Sacramento. I imagine someone from Sacramento said to him "...and you'll have to visit our Railroad Museum!" To which he replied...er..no.

Hey don't get me wrong I really like the CSRM and I understand the importance of railroads to Sacramento and think the RTM will be great community asset. I just don't want us to become a 'one track town'. What's going to happen to Old Sacramento when the Railyards and other riverfront venues get going?

The fact that Old Sacramento is the local equivalent of Fisherman's Wharf doesn't make me nor anyone else I've ever talked to about very happy. Old Sacramento like every other place in the city belongs first to the people of this city. Never should we surrender a district to the tourists. San Francisco is not always the best model. The 'gee the out-of-towners are having a great time so we must be doing it right" mentally makes me mad.

From what I gather from talking to people in Old Sacramento the problem is that there is no consensus about what Old Sacramento should be. The Historic Old Sacramento Foundation, Old Sacramento Management, the City, the State Parks and the merchants all have their own, often competing agendas. The articles I've read, inlcuding yours, just confirms my suspicions about some of the people in charge. When people like Baxter of the OSF equate Old Sacramento with Disneyland I know we're in trouble. I've been to a few meeting of the OSF and think some of these people are bit delusional in thinking that Old Sacramento should or could be a West Coast version of Williamsburg. Give it up people. I never ever feel like I'm stepping back to the gold rush days -even during the Gold Rush Days. I feel like I'm on a Burbank movie set next to the 101 surrounded by tacky WT bubba's from Valley burbs and their plump kids.

Last edited by ozone; Jun 5, 2007 at 7:07 PM.