View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 1:20 AM
waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
Compared to the congestion reduction benefits and flexibility of pricing schemes, the cost of GPS would not be that high. The cost of the unit was $50 8 years ago and has probably gone down since. The data costs would be small. I worked for a company that developed technology for this and I can you tell you it does not need to be hardwired, it just needs to be securely installed on the dashboard. It has to be fixed in place and there would be a sensor if someone chooses to tamper with it.

There are also many ways to protect privacy, some of which I have mentioned earlier.

Finally, for visiting vehicles you would need them to purchase a driving pass where they would be permitted to drive an unlimited amount for a certain time at a certain price. It would obviously be priced so that residents would be encouraged to use the GPS, however, residents would also be free to purchase a driving pass if they are concerned about things like privacy.
$50 would be a fairly low end GPS receiver. Low end GPS devices have more errors, blackouts, and inaccuracy. I would expect each device to cost at least $100. But then again with economies of scale, maybe it can be produced for $50.

Do you have any of your research that we can read?