View Single Post
Old Posted May 26, 2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
The same could be said of the Waverley underpass. Spending a large amount of money to trim 2 minutes off of some folks' commutes.

Ultimately, the arts is an important contributor to quality of life and support of the arts has been demonstrated to pay significant economic dividends, so there is a good argument for government support of the arts. Tourists don't come to see underpasses and pothole-free roads. While this addition to the gallery won't act as a draw on its own, it helps to create a critical mass of attractions to tourists that then makes a stop in Winnipeg worthwhile.
Exactly what I was thinking... Internationally First Nations art is highly revered and imitated. I couldn't believe how many dream catchers and headdresses I saw in Indonesia or Croatia. There will be people looking for the real thing, the original art. This brutalistly architected building will be another draw for tourism for travelers who dig this type of stuff. I couldn't give a crap what locals think, what I'm looking forward to is the new blood who appreciate First Nations.