View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 11:09 PM

Let's think it over for a start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
Sorry to resurrect a year-old thread, but I think this fits:

*click to enlarge*

I explain the whole thing on my blog, OnUrbanism.Wordpress.com, but here's the outline:

I've made one or two changes to my plan since I made the map, including extending the ROW just past 'Principale' station, getting rid of the Vanier station (for now) and moving the Victor-Beaudry east about 400m.

But I digress.

In another post, I 'calculate' and compare the speed of a tram to that of a bus and a car, but I take it with a wee bit of a grain of salt since I'd imagine there's a lot more to keep in mind than speed, stops and de/acceleration. But it's a ballpark number at worst, I figure.

I'd be interested in getting some feedback, since I'm half-serious about the idea, especially considering the ideas circulating in the municipal council (rant in my first post).

AYLMER, I'm glad that you are bringing this up because I sincerely believe that, as I wrote on this thread on Jan 27th (BTW read that as "seamless" not "streamless"!), there is a great need to coordinate the two public transit systems together because more than 75,000+ local residents travel across the Ottawa River twice a day to go to work or go back home.

Quebec Hgy 50 from Montreal is near completion and it terminates at Montcalm St in Hull, just beside the Rapibus line which terminates, I believe, just a little bit beyond where the Train Station used to be and possibly the Prince de Galles Stn beside the U. du Québec à Gatineau (olympic-size soccer field) that you have on your map.

With an extension to Aylmer, all public transit in Gatineau will converge just there: at a spot just across the river from the O-Train Bayview Station and where the planned Ottawa LRT will be passing through.

And there is an unused and forgotten railroad bridge connecting those two converging spots directly! And politicians are talking about spending handreds of millions of dollars for a new bridge in the east end!

What gives?

How about a streetcar aka LRT line looping around between the two cities that would interface with OC Transpo and STO's Rapibus?

Using your map, such a streetcar line would loop from the Rideau Centre to Prince de Galles andto downtown Ottawa via the Prince of Wales Bridge?

Why not put Sparks Street and Queen Street to good use for such a loop line? And forget about a downtown tunnel?

A LRT from Orléans to the Rideau Centre would be more serviceable and get a lot of cars off the 417.

A LRT from Kanata to the Bayview Stn or the O-Train line via Carling Ave would also be more serviceable and get a lot of cars off the 417 from the other direction.

The O-Train could be extended to Barrhaven and the Airport and get more cars and taxis off the roads.

Instead of building a bridge in the east end where no one wants it, why not a companion bridge beside the Prince of Wales over Lemieux Island and connect the two downtowns directly instead of that big mess on King Edward?
..or doubling Chaudiere Bridge, or Portage Bridge, or Alexandra Bridge?

Why not have streetcars on the Alexandra Bridge and the Chaudiere Bridge?

Why not sell OC Transpo to private enterprise or at least interest private interprise into a public-private partnership?

Where's the NCC when you need them?