View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2011, 9:52 PM
So very tired...

What are you shooting with and what would you like to shoot with?

Currently using all Nikon gear. For bodies I have the D90, D40, and F80 for when I feel like shooting film. For a typical walkabout I will use the D40 with the Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 VR II, and the D90 with the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. I also have the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR II, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, and an SB-600 speedlight.

As far as wishlist goes, I would definitely like to go full-frame eventually. That means D700 (or its replacement if it ever arrives) and the 14-24mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm f/2.8's. Obviously all that costs a lot of cash...so I won't be getting all that anytime soon. I would also like to get the 85mm f/1.4, the 105mm f/2.8 Macro, and the 135mm f/2.0 DC for portraiture.

If you could sum up your style in one photograph what photo would it be?

I'm not sure I have a single style. I try to shoot almost all styles, with varying degrees of success. This includes landscape/cityscape, architectural, portraiture, strobist, street/reportage and others.

I guess my favorite type of photography would be blue-hour cityscapes. While I like epic skylines, I often prefer to focus in on a specific building or street corner. Here's an example:

Talk about your inspirations and influences.

It was this very site that first encouraged me to pick up a camera seriously. I was just doing some construction updates and got some positive feedback, then I did a few threads...it has progressed steadily from there.

I'm not really inspired by 'famous' photographers. I'm inspired by the people I shoot with and the city I live in. I find plenty enough inspiration from my flickr contacts (and SSP shooters) and events that happen here in Edmonton and elsewhere. I always have my camera with me, and I look for the photographic opportunities in everything I do and everywhere I go. I really have become one of those affected twits who has a camera in their hands constantly

Where have you not been that you want to photograph?

I'm not particularly well traveled, so...lots of places. I very much want to drive the Dempster Highway to Inuvik and see the arctic. My top-three US destinations would be NYC, San Fran and New Orleans.

My ultimate epic trip would be to spend a full year in Europe, no real plan, just hang out if a place seems cool, and roll on when it's time to roll on.

Talk about your most popular (in your opinion) photothreads.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the response my first Penticton thread received. I did not think there would be that much interest in my small hometown.

Talk about your photothreads that didn't get the response you wanted.

I'm happy with the response to all my threads. I'm just happy to be out shooting, and if others enjoy my work then that's gravy. I do appreciate people taking the time to have a look.

Any tips or personal wisdom you'd like to pass on to others?

Forget school, lessons, or any of that crap. Just go out and shoot, and shoot lots. Find other folks with similar abilities and tastes and go out shooting with them. Don't expect to be great overnight. It takes some time to learn and progress. It is directly proportional to the amount of time you put into it.

Who should we ask these questions of next?

Calgary is very well represented on this forum, and one of the cities best ambassadors, photographically speaking, is Witty Nickname.