View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 7:18 PM

Heard this story yesterday evening on CBC:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...bank-1.5419519

What stood out there to me was this part:
Quote:
He believes the employee might have been suspicious because he had $30,000 in his account — an amount he and every other member of the Heiltsuk nation received in December from the federal government as part of an Aboriginal rights settlement package.
Imagine if every single Québécois just got $30,000 no strings attached appearing in their bank account just for existing, while other Canadians didn't get anything. (We were conquered, after all. Got to have some compensation!)

That's completely nuts. I can understand how local non-natives wouldn't be too fond of local natives in that kind of context. Imagine a Thunder Bay divided among poor whites with nearly empty bank accounts and poor natives in equivalent socioeconomic positions but with $30,000 that fell out of the sky into their bank account just because they have a pulse and the "correct" ancestry. Of course that would stoke resentment and division.

I mean, if you think Walloons and Flemish dislike each other already, then imagine an alternate reality in which every single Walloon with a pulse just received 25k€ no strings attached wired into their bank accounts, courtesy of the Belgian treasury into which every one (including the Flemish) all pay. Surely that'll help, right?