View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's true there might a bit of a slowdown (essoufflement) but I am not sure if you are old enough to remember the 90s. This is when I began going to Montreal and while the city still had its charms it was more like a sexy old lady with a few big moles on its face. Even Ste-Catherine was pretty shabby and both ends, and when I mean both ends I mean in the vicinity of the Forum in the west and around Complexe Desjardins in the east. Lots of abandoned and run down buildings in both of these areas, with only the middle parts near McGill College, Peel and De La Montagne holding up reasonably well. St-Laurent was pretty dead back then and also had a lot of abandonment. It was very gap-toothed in terms of urban activity. The old town was only partly "alive" as well.
I have not “experienced” the city in the late 90’s, but I have seen pictures and heard about how bad it was. The city has sure come a long way in comparison. My experience is based on a few areas and a few arterial streets that have not improved and on the contrary that have been deteriorating in the last 10 years. That’s probably nothing compared to the late 90’s.