View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2007, 8:20 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
That's too bad... I enjoyed Fisaga and thought it was a pretty cool place for Harrisburg to have. It had that "garage door" wall thing like a year before every other place in the world decided to do it.
I do have to give it to Fisaga's for that, and the garage door idea was very original and added a lot to the 2nd St. scene.

danwxman, my hat is off to you and I am glad HBG has people like you still there! But in a sense you proved our point:

Quote:
Harrisburg's midtown has always been the liberal enclave of the area...
A few blocks in comparison to an entire region.

Quote:
Just like ten years ago the city was completely different, I think ten years from now it will be even more different.
Ten years is a VERY long time, other cities can and will do so much more in those ten years, and I found life to be far too short to wait around for what HBG will (may?) be...

And as far as this point goes:

Quote:
The area is definitely seeing more migration from the bigger cities, and those people are bringing their less conservative values with them.
I too have noticed a lot of people coming from outside of the area and from bigger places (and also people who once lived in HBG, left for a bigger place and are now back) BUT most of those people seem to be families or people ready to start a family. That contributes something to an area of course and it can be a great thing, but there are still many pieces of the puzzle left out. I think HBG should work very hard to attract those other pieces of the puzzle. HBG Univ. and a few of the other projects may help, but so much more needs to be done.

Anyway, I don't want to downplay any of HBG's accomplishments and what is going on there these days, and it will be interesting to see what direction it goes.

EDIT: I also wanted to add a semi-related issue: the cost of living is still a bargain in comparison to some other bigger places close by, but it is FAR from as cheap as it used to be; I am amazed at just how high the prices are there these days. Obviously if you view this with an optimistic lens, this shows the success in the area. But at the same time, HBG is quickly losing one of its strongest competitive points...