View Single Post
Old Posted May 18, 2008, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
And for those former residents of Cabrini-Green who want the small percentage of affordable housing that will be available, stringent standards have been set in place: they must work full time, pass drug tests, not have a criminal record, etc.
This is the key point, and the key to the success of the replacement housing. People talk as though the entire design paradigm of monolithic towers-in-the-park was a contributing factor to the inhumanity and decay of the projects, seemingly ignoring the dozens of similar such public housing projects in New York City that are still standing and successful. Key difference? New York always maintained a certain level of standards for its residents, in contrast to Chicago where you didn't need to work, could get mixed up in drugs, etc. etc. and still get your free apartment.

Me, I'd just eliminate Section 8 and public housing altogether and auction the land to private owners for development (these are monster proportions of the federal budget,and major holes in local property tax rolls, that only serve to perpetuate the 'underclass' and otherwise subsidize freeloading people who use the savings to buy cars, big screen TVs, shoes, etc... got any pictures of the Green highrises with satellite dishes bolted to the side?), but at least the path being pursued is the next best thing if the continued existence of subsidized housing is a foregone conclusion.