View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I think it's fair to separately distinguish visible minorities, but also worth noting the kind of linguistic diversity we're talking about in respect of Montreal.

Maybe this is similar to going to say, Brownsville, TX, which is... I don't know, I'm guessing, but 75% Hispanic but probably majority White. While it is majority White, there's something very different about Brownsville when compared to other similarly sized US towns in say, the Midwest. The non-Hispanic Whites and the Hispanic Whites interact, but at the same time appear to belong to different communities. And because of the linguistic and cultural differences, the place feels more diverse than its visible minority numbers would suggest.

Obviously... Montreal > Brownsville, lol, just trying to tease out that analogy.
The best example I like to give of this is of a sleepy American town that is 50% old stock American whites and 50% old stock American blacks, i.e. where everybody in the phone book has names like John Smith and is an unilingual American English speaker.

On paper, the place is quite diverse culturally -- 50% vismin!