View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
Another noirish street scene from Calisphere labeled "View is looking south on Figueroa st Exposition Boulevard. The City's Streets have become a perilous No Man's Land of crime, due to curfew in effect 9 p.m., Saturday night. Photo dated: March 6, 1966." This was 7 months after the Watts riots. There was (and is) a 10 pm city curfew on persons under 18 years old unaccompanied by adults.

calisphere.org

I couldn't match Figueroa and Exposition to this picture, though. The only clear business name is "Figueroa Medical Offices" but the online city directories didn't have a listing.

I remember the business on the ground floor of the building on the NE corner of Figueroa & MLK/Santa Barbara. It was Coliseum French Dip and it was there when I used to go to USC and Raider games in the '80s. I recently attempted to get some information or photos but came up empty so I was pleasantly surprised to see it here. The sign was pretty prolific and I had the impression it was a pretty popular place and thought more info wouldn't be too difficult to find. I guess CFD was no match for Philippe though.

Last edited by Bristolian; Feb 11, 2018 at 2:30 AM. Reason: I don't need no stinkin' reason