View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 7:59 PM

I certainly doesn't need a station on every block. People would be more than willing to walk 3 or 4 blocks to get to the PRT station.

Much of what causes the low ridership on LRT/Commuter rail stations has nothing to do with the rail service and everything to do with the connecting bus service.

The train maybe fast and frequent but that doesn't do much if you then have to sit around the station for a half an hour or more waiting for your connecting bus. This is particularly true in suburban stations off-peak hours, late night, and on the weekends when service is very limited.

Much of the system could be built with the savings from not having to build monstrous parking garages around the stations and being able to sell those lands for TOD. Land around rail lines always commands a premium price and PRT allows the cities to take advantage of it.

Like I say I don't think it's practical for main route but for circular routes of 3 or 4 miles around the stations, it could be very effective by getting rid of the dreaded "last mile" which is a big issue in suburban areas.