View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:43 PM

^^^ I agree with you to an extent. I seem to be the only one on here that doesn't mind old Dilapidated buildings being torn down for something better. For instance. somewhere around 40% of the buildings on Broadway,in my opinion,(1-3 story buildings that have been butchered and destroyed from the inside out) can be replaced with something denser and better, however, some will make the argument that they are old and should stay, but I make the argument that nearly the entire structure has been replaced and butchered so why keep it? Prime example. The Blue Jean building. That thing has been destroyed and butchered with little to nothing left from the original structure besides maybe a door knob or light switch. But peoples argument "Well its been there since the day of Moses, so it can stay"........

Should buildings be replaced ? yeah. most deff. but it depends on which ones. The Richfield should still be here. The day anyone dares say they want to replace the US Bank Tower, Aon building or the twins and a few others downtown, I will lose my mind. But the 1 story shoe shine shack on broadway that's been there since 1901, it can go. The butchered "Victorians"(hardly), they can go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
In LA's defense, it has manged quite well to preserve it's stock of prewar buildings. Chicago regularly destroys it's old buildings. By old I mean old. This building was built in 1892 but it's slated to be demolished soon for one reason or another. And this is just one of many endangered Chicago buildings (a lot of the historic churches and schools in this city are endangered too).

LA is overlooked in this regard. In one instance, I'm glad that the buildings in the Historic Core have remained and not destroyed. Broadway would be a moonscape today if otherwise.
Oh trust me I know. I've taken city tours in NYC and Chicago. And to see before and after pictures of entire city blocks are truly heart breaking. A lot of us truly don't know how many architectural gems we have lost to the bulldozer with most being replaced by parking lots and parking garages or modern boxes ( The old Chicago federal building for example)

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 21, 2016 at 9:59 PM.