View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Be That Guy View Post
I have no real opinion on the quality of this project, but what's the point of a zoning code or development standards if the Planning Commission isn't going to follow them when making decisions? That sends a very negative message to anyone doing business in or with the city.
So I believe they had the property rezoned as "AP, Mixed-Use Planned Unit Development," and my rough understanding is that zoning allows a lot more flexibility, but it gives the Planning Commission a bigger say in what exactly happens.

That doesn't mean they can be arbitrary, but I don't know off hand whether this is within the legal bounds of their discretion or not under that process.

Generally, almost all big projects require some sort of variances, street relocations, or so on, which gives public authorities plenty of opportunities to kill projects they don't like. So I think it really becomes a political issue in the long run.

Edit: I also recall the motion approving the zoning change had something about the need for community input and some other special criteria, but I believe all that was focused primarily on the parklet and street issues. Gentrification/affordable housing may well be the dominant issues at this point, but that is an example of the sort of thing I was referring to--whether or not the Planning Commission technically was supposed to be worried about affordable housing, they might have the legal authority necessary to kill the plan if they can style it as not liking the parklet and/or street plan.

Last edited by BrianTH; Jan 11, 2017 at 4:01 PM.